Wednesday, June 29, 2016

DIY: How to paint a mason jar with a chalky, rustic finish.

I just love the look of painted mason jars, which I recently experimented with for my sister-in-law’s baby shower. They are fairly easy to pull off as well.

My inspiration. See link. 

Materials- paint brushes (bristle or foam; I used foam), chalkboard paint, finish paint, sandpaper

  1. Start by covering the jar with a coat of chalkboard paint. This acts like a primer and also adds to the rustic look when the final product is distressed.


  1. Turn the jar upside down and cover with thin, even coats of paint, allowing plenty of time to dry in between. Plan on about 3 coats of paint. Wait until the final coat is complete to paint the bottoms of the jars. This will allow you to use this surface area to rotate the jar.



  1. When all coats of paint are completely dry, use sandpaper to rough up the finish to your desired level of rustic-ness. I used it to go over the lettering, which created a rustic-light look.


  2. Embellish as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment